Lupa Capitolina (Eroilor Boulevard, pedestrian area) It is a staunch copy of Lupa Capitolina from Rome and it was given in 1921 by the municipality of Rome to the town of Cluj as a symbol of the Romania's Latinity. A bas-relief (by sculptor Ettore Ferrari 1849-1930) was added to the monument, representing the Emperor Traian, and the inscription ALLA CITTÀ DI CLVJ, ROMA MADRE, MCMXXI. The statue was unveiled on September 28th, 1921 by the Mayor Iulian Pop, after the Romanian administration was established. In 2006, after the beginning of the rearrangements of Eroilor Boulevard, the statue was transferred to The National History Museum of Transylvania. The statue was relocated on the pedestrian area from Eroilor Boulevard on November 28th, 2008.
Matia Corvin's Equestrian Statue (Unirii Square) It is the work of the sculptor Ioan Fadrusz and architect Pakei Lajos and won the Great Prize at the Paris World Exhibition in 1900. It was unveiled in 1902 in today's Unirii Square. Matia Corvin is surrounded by a group of warriors: Blasiu Magyar, Pavel Chinezu, Stefan Zapolya and Stefan Bathory. The statue it is on the list of UNESCO’s memorial statues on the 5th place.
The « Horea, Closca and Crisan »Statuary Group (1st of December 1918 Boulevard, in front of the Napoca Hotel) - represents the leaders of the Peasant Uprising in Transylvania in 1784 (by sculptor Ion Vlasiu)
The « Mihai Viteazul » Equestrian Statue (Mihai Viteazul Square) - ruler of the Romanian Country, the one who unified for the very first time the three Romanian provinces (Walachia, Moldavia and Transylvania) in 1600 (sculptor Marius Butunoiu)
The “Carolina” Obelisk (The Museum Square) is the oldest lay monument of the city. The statue is a commemorative column, set up to commemorate the visit of the Emperor Francis the First and his wife Carolina Augusta, between 18th and 27th of August 1817. The Emperor attended the ceremony, celebrating the Day of Saint Stephan, (August 20th), chaired the meeting and visited the City Hospital. In order to build the statue, the Emperor's approval was necessary and funding was raised among the inhabitants of Cluj, but the statue was finished thanks to the financial help of the city District Attorney, Topler Imre. It was inaugurated on the 4th of October 1831, on Saint Francis’s Day. The ten meter obelisk, the angel wearing the effigy in a crown of laurels and the four stone eagles that hold laurels in their peaks are a masterpiece of Anton Csürös and Nagy Samuel. The two Biedermeyer style bas-reliefs showing the symbol of the city constitute a masterpiece of the renowned Viennese sculptor Iosif Klieber. In the Eastern part, there is an image of the place where the Emperor and his wife entered (also known as the Main City Gate); in the Western part there is an image of the Emperor and his wife's visit to the hospital, offering money to poor woman standing on her knees at the gate. As a special feature, the sculptor molded a gas lamp, but this sort of technique was only used in Cluj in 1827. Carolina Augusta offered the Hospital from Museum Square a donation and starting with 1818 the hospital bore the name Carolina Hospital, and was destroyed in 1914. The Carolina Hospital was initially placed in what is now known as Union Square (the old Great Square). In 1898, during the city restructuring, it was moved to the Museum Square (the old Small Square).
The Monument “Glory to the Romanian Soldier” (Avram Iancu Square) - dedicated to the memory of those who sacrificed themselves for the defense of the country, of the unity and the national independence (by sculptor Radu Aftene).
Piata Avram Iancu Cluj-Napoca