Baile Cojocna is a balneo-climateric resort situated in the east of Cojocna village, at 10 km from Cluj-Napoca city. Even from Roman occupation, there have been salt exploitations in the area. In those places there are now various hot watering places. Two of the lakes, Toroc and Lacul Mare were transformed into bathing places, where many people go during summer. Besides the recreation that they can offer, the bathing places are also recommended for the treatment of rheumatic, endocrine and gynecologic diseases (arthrosis, poliarthrosis, spondylosis, tendinosis). The resort has been modernized as a result of an investment made with European funds.
This resort is situated in Baisoara village and has 5 ski slopes for those who love winter sports. The slopes have means of transport on cable, with a total length of approximately 4.5 km. You can reach the resort on a modernized road, that starts from the county road DJ 107M in Baisoara and then goes 10 km up the valley to the Muntele Baisorii village, and then another 8km to the resort. (the distance from Cluj-Napoca to the resort is 60 km). The usual access is from Cluj-Napoca or Turda by car or by bus until the Muntele Baisorii village, then 45 minutes walking. In the winter there are buses that go to the resort.
The Bontida Banffy Castle, an architectonic assembly built by the family with the same name is situated at 25 km north-east from Cluj-Napoca city. The construction of the castle began in 1473 when the baron Banffy received the permission of King Albert to build a fortress, and was finished in 1543. The first documentary attestation of the castle dates back from the 17th century, when, according to a military report (1680), there was a system of fortifications that surrounded the mansion. The most visible styles from the assembly are the Renaissance and the Baroque. In 1994 the German troops evicted the owners in order to use the castle as a military hospital. The building was seriously damaged at the end of the Second World War, when the German retreating troops attacked, robbed and set on fire the entire building. The furniture, the picture gallery, the well-known portraits gallery and the library were entirely destroyed. The nationalization and the lack of buildings and park maintenance led to a severely degradation of the castle. The Art Museum from Cluj-Napoca succeeded in saving the statues from the park that used to be Baroque and deposited them in the institution. The restoration works were made under the patronage of the Prince Charles of Wales who visited the construction site several times and they were awarded the prize “Europa Nostra” by the European Union.
Tarnita accumulation lake is situated between Rasca, Marisel and Gilau villages, at 15 km from Cluj-Napoca city. Tarnita lake has a surface of approximately 215 ha, a length of over 8 km and a maximum depth of over 70 meter and it is one of the most appreciated touristic areas from Cluj county. The water from the Tarnita lake is brought by Somesul Cald River (one of the affluents of Somesul Mic).
Nicula monastery is an important pilgrimage center from North Ardeal, situated at 50 km from Cluj-Napoca city. The famous icon painted in 1681 by Luca from Iclod could be found in this monastery. According to a minute made by Austrian officers, the icon would shed tears between the 15th of February and the 12th of March 1699. The stone church of the monastery was erected between 1875 and 1879 on the expenses of Gherla Diocese. The technique of glass painting was brought in Transylvania by the school of icon painters from Nicula monastery. Among the famous artists that worked at Nicula are Emil Weiß, Moritz Hachmann and Karl Müller.
The most important historical and archeological monument from the city of Turda is the Potaissa Roman camp of the Macedonian 5th Legion, from the plateau named Dealul Cetatii. The camp was built by this legion in 168. Potaissa was the biggest legion camp of long term operation in Dacia. The huge rectangle that it describes covers a surface of 23.4 hectares and housed 5000 militaries. The walls had 1.7-2 m width and were built from mortar and stone. In front of the walls there is a wide moat of 12 metres wide and 3 meters deep. There were 2 streets intersecting in a cross (Via Praetoria, Via Principalis) and 4 gates (Praetoria Gate, Decumana Gate, Principalis Dextra Gate, Principalis Sinistra Gate). The most important building of the camp (Principia) was the one of the command (almost 1 hectare). Among the consolidation-conservation works carried out by the Turda Museum of History and “Babes-Bolyai” University from Cluj-Napoca, important landmarks such as: the Northwest Tower, a defense wall-tower, the “decumana” gate and the “Principia” building, are now accessible points. The camp can be reached by car on 2 accessible roads: a road passing by the “Mihai Viteazu” National College and another one from DN1, on Romana street.
Piata Avram Iancu Cluj-Napoca