On the western part of the old city walls, guarded by three bastions and gates, this square was initially a marketplace, which was going to be moved to the central square. Eventually, the marketplace was moved closer to the railroad, in the current location of Mihai Viteazul square. Thus, at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century the walls and gates of the city were demolished, and a small park was arranged in this square. Later, new buildings were erected here, such as the National Theater, the Orthodox Cathedral, the building of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry, in the Art Nouveau style (today, the office of the Cluj Prefecture); the building of the old “Unió” Masonic Lodge (no. 7 Avram Iancu Sq.); the building of the old military garrison (today, the building of the County School Inspectorate, also known in the oral tradition of the city as the “red building”, a name earned by the red brick walls of the building); the Palace of Justice, where the Court of Appeal and the Tribunal are housed; the EMKE Palace (Hungarian Cultural Association of Transylvania), later purchased by MÁV (Magyar Államvasútak, Hungarian State Railroads), currently the headquarters of the CFR Regional Office; the building of the Archbishopric of Vad, Feleac and Cluj, which houses the Faculty of Orthodox Theology and the building of the Protestant Theology, on the old site of the Reformed Church’s Prayer House.
Cluj County Prefect's Headquarter (58, December 21st 1989 Boulevard) The building was the first to house the Chamber of Commerce and Industry. It is a corner building, with three facades, three levels and an attic. The architectural style combines folk inspiration elements with Gothic ones and an influence of Art Nouveau. Since 1990 the building is the headquarters of the Cluj County Council and of the County Prefect. The respects for the law, the transparency, professionalism, the orientation towards the citizen’s needs are the principles that guide the functioning of these institutions.
Cluj-Napoca City Hall (1-3, Motilor Street) The building was constructed at the end of 19th century, according to the plans of the architect Alpár Ignác, having a baroque facade of Viennese style and a corner tower with clock that impresses by strength and sobriety. On the tower was applied the Prefecture's coat of arms (Cluj County) because the initial destination of the building was that of a County headquarter. The building was included in the systematization plan of the city in 1798 which stated that any new construction had to have the city council’s approval. The initial destination of the building as the headquarter of the County was multiple – political, administrative, fiscal headquarter etc., where the County officials were deciding the wellbeing of the area; in the big chambers, besides the usual meetings, exhibitions of famous and of young artists as well as the city balls from the beginning of the 20th century took place. Nowadays it is the headquarter of the Cluj-Napoca City Hall, an institution that follows the principles of local administrative and financial autonomy, decentralization of public services, lawfulness and eligibility of the local public administration authorities, the consultation of the citizens on community issues.
Continental Hotel (New York), in the southwestern corner of Union Square (Főtér / Piaţa Centrală by the old names), was built at the end of the 19th century, on the site of the old Nemzeti (National) Hotel. An eclectic creation of Lajos Pákei, the city’s architect in the early 20th century, the building housed a famous restaurant, as well as a coffee shop visited by artists, journalist and the bohemians of Cluj.
Eroilor Boulevard is one of the most important arteries in Cluj-Napoca. From the late nineteenth century until 1919 was called Deak Ferenc utca, in translation "Deák Ferenc street." Between the two world wars it was called the Queen Mary Street, while under communists bear the name Dr. Petru Groza Street. During 2006 it was completely rebuilt the southern side of the street, being opened for traffic later that year, while the northern side has been transformed into a pedestrian area in 2007. In 2007 work was started to modernize the pedestrian area of the boulevard. Thus, the area was arranged with two fountains, benches and terraces. The pedestrian area is paved with cubic stone. With the start of the new works for the pedestrian area of the boulevard, on the left side of the road traffic was closed. Thus, it has remained the right lane traffic only, from Union Square to Avram Iancu.
Matia Corvin's Equestrian Statue (Unirii Square) It is the work of the sculptor Ioan Fadrusz and architect Pakei Lajos and won the Great Prize at the Paris World Exhibition in 1900. It was unveiled in 1902 in today's Unirii Square. Matia Corvin is surrounded by a group of warriors: Blasiu Magyar, Pavel Chinezu, Stefan Zapolya and Stefan Bathory. The statue it is on the list of UNESCO’s memorial statues on the 5th place.
Piata Avram Iancu Cluj-Napoca