British Council has opened a branch in Romania since 1938. Actually, Bucharest was one of the first five cities in the world in opening a branch of the British Council, along with Athens, Alexandria,Cairo and Lisbon. The British Council offers people from everywhere an opening to the British education and creativity, establishing strong relations between Great Britain and other countries.
CASA TIFF is a cultural center that aims to promote film education and the need for expression through art, cultivating and developing a passion for film, photography, theater, visual arts in general, among Cluj.
1859 Foundation of the Library of the Transylvanian Museum Society with count Kemény József's donation, to which count Mikó Imre's donation was later on added. 1872 Foundation of the University Library along with the creation of the University of Cluj (initial collections: Law Academy of Sibiu, Academy of Medicine, private donations, together with the collections of the Transylvanian Museum Library available to the University . 1909 Opening of the Library in the new location and merging of the University Library and the Transylvanian Museum Library. 1920 19th of May - marks the inauguration of the Library and of the University, in the presence of the royal family and of the Romanian Government. The Library would be known from now on as the "King Ferdinand" University Library in Cluj. After 1920, the library collections were enriched by the donations of over 125 institutions and private individuals. One can mention the contribution of the Romanian Academy, the State Archives, the House of Schools, the Museum of the Romanian Language, etc. 1922 The most important and valuable donation is the one of the Moldavian scholar Gheorghe Sion. Between 1922 and 1923, he donated a large number (about 4500 volumes) of valuable books, reviews, manuscripts, engravings, paintings, photographies, maps, coins and medals, etc. The Gheorghe Sion' donation represents the golden archive of the Special Collections Department. 1934 The construction of the actual library building came to an end. 1961 Because of the continuous increase in the library collections and the lack of space to store them, a new and modern closed stack was built in 1961, with a storage capacity of 2 million volumes. The building of the new closed stacks is connected to the reading rooms and the old closed stacks. 1992 The automation of all library activities and services started in 1992 and the process is still in progress. A very notable step towards the new approach in dealing with the information was the creation of the IT Department within "Lucian Blaga" Central University Library. The specialized personnel of the Department contributed to the installing of the computer network and the work stations in almost each library department and most of the branch libraries. 2000 The total ammount of publications held within the branch libraries and the central building of the library is about 3,000,000 volumes, from which 500,000 serial volumes. The collections of "Lucian Blaga" Central University Library include publications and materials which are meant to help and promote the academic performance expected to be reached in each faculty and department of the "Babes-Bolyai" University from Cluj-Napoca. This is, in fact, one of the demands in the process of adaptation to the modern educational system. The library collections can be consulted within the 60 reading rooms with a capacity of 2,177 seats, both in the central building and the branch libraries. 2001 The first electronic review of the library was edited: Bibliorev. 2002 The total number of publications in the entire network (central building and the branch libraries) has reached approximately 3,600,000 volumes. 2004 - 2006 "Lucian Blaga" Central University, as member of a university libraries consortium, bought several scientific databases.In the same period, there have been created CD-ROMs of our own bibliographical databases. 2006 In February 2006, the version of ALEPH 500 library integrated system was changed with the new one, ALEPH 16, with interface in Romanian, Hungarian and English. 2007 - 2008 Start-up of building rearrangement works. 2008 Creation of the DIGITAL LIBRARY. 2010 Making the digital library available through DSpace interface.
Piata Avram Iancu Cluj-Napoca